"Can I want this?"

Lately Megan has been cracking me up with the way she has been phrasing many of her questions. They go a bit like this: "Can I want some chocolate chips?", "Can I want to draw? and so on. We laugh and say "Of course you can want it, but that doesn't mean you get to have it." Obviously she always means "Can I have or do whatever it might be" but it started me thinking.

When asking God for things maybe I should be asking a little more often "Can I want that?". Sometimes I am so sure that what I want is the right thing that I forget to say "Is it Your will God?". He is the One who knows what I truly need and what it best for me. It is His will I want not mine because I don't see everything and I don't have all the answers. I am so thankful that He does!!

"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow, we shall go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and also do this or that."
James 4:13-15