An apron from old overalls

  A while back I had seen an apron at a craft store that had been made from cutting out the pocket/zipper area from a pair of jeans (so it was basically in a half circle shape) and then attaching a wide ruffle and a tie to it. I thought it would be fun to try and so pulled out my box of old jeans for that purpose one day last week.

 The first thing I pulled out was a pair of girls (size 7 or 8) overalls that had holes in the knees. That wasn't what I was looking for but then I thought "Why not?" I could make an apron with a bib which is what I prefer anyway. Here is how I did it:
The picture above is what I started with.
1. I unbuttoned the sides of the overalls and then seam ripped the seams down to the level of the crotch seam.
2. I cut straight across from side to side just above the crotch.
3. I found some ribbon I wanted to use to complete the neck loop and for waist ties.
4. I cut the shoulder straps off at the place that they matched the width of my ribbon.
5. I figured out how long I needed the neck to be (it is adjustable because of the way you can adjust overall straps) and cut the ribbon the right length to finish the neck strap.
6. I sewed the ribbon in place.
7. I found some white fabric to make the apron longer. I cut it around twice as wide as the denim and as long as I desired.
8. I gathered the white fabric and then sewed it to the denim.
9. I turned under the edges of the white fabric (I cut the corners so they were rounded) and then sewed lace around the edge of the whole bottom section of the apron.
10. I measured a ribbon long enough to use for the waist ties, I threaded it through the belt loops and then sewed it to secure it on each side.
11. I double stitched over many of the flattened seams to make a more finished look.

This was a very quick project and a really fun way to give new life to an old pair of overalls. It sold on a silent auction at a fundraiser last week.

I am linking this to:
Frugal Friday at Life as Mom
and