Homemade Mayonnaise


I made homemade mayo for the first time the other day. I was shocked at how easy it was and how delicious it was compared to store-bought. It's thicker and creamier then store-bought and much more flavorful! I used the immersion blender that my Aunt Linda gave me and the whole process took about a minute.
I watched this video on youtube before I started. I used his recipe with a few alterations.

2 egg yolks (room temperature)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp. vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups oil (I used extra light olive oil)

All of the ingredients should be at room temperature before starting. Put all of the ingredients into a slender container with high sides in the order that they're listed above; adding the oil gently so it rises to the top.

Put the immersion blender all the way on the bottom of the container and pulse until you see a white "cloud" forming in the bottom. Continue to pulse the blender while tipping it to the side and lifting slightly to begin incorporating more oil. Repeat until all of the oil is incorporated and you're left with mayo.


It's so easy and so delicious!