Speaks-to-me-Sunday

"For this reason I say to you, do not be anxious for your life,
as to what you shall eat, or what you will drink;
nor for your body, as to what you shall put on.
Is not life more important that food, and the body than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow, neither do they reap,
nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not worth much more than they?
And which of you by being anxious can add a single cubit to his life's span?"
Matthew 6:25-27
As I type this I am sitting in Washington DC. Ken is at a conference and I am blogging.
When I read this passage this morning it really stood out to me because I have been faced with a little culture shock this week. At home I don't spend much time thinking about how I look or anything of that nature. I like to look nice and try not to be dirty or too frumpy but really very little of my day is devoted to working on my appearance. Here it is a little different world, most people are dressed up very nicely, with the perfect accessories on (jewelry, handbags, fancy shoes, etc.) . Now there is NOTHING WRONG with these people dressing up! The issue I have been dealing with is in my own thoughts. Worrying about "Do I look okay?" , "Maybe I need a perfect pearl necklace to set off this outfit", "Does my bag look to old?" and on and on.
Those type of thoughts do nothing to help me live a life more pleasing to my God. I want to dress and act in a way that pleases Him, not in order to make an impression on somebody I will be unlikely to ever see again.
This verse also is a great one for the time we are in. I know there are many people who have lost their jobs, they aren't sure just how they are going to take care of everything. Well this is God saying "Trust me!" He takes care of little sparrows, He makes all the flowers to be dressed in beautiful ways and He cares so much more about you!
Verses 33 and 34 of the same chapter say:
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.
Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own."
No matter where I am, what I am doing or the situation I am, God's instructions for me are: Seek Me and My will first! Don't worry about the rest, I have it all under control!
How blessed we are to have a God that cares for us so very, very much!


Pretty pink dogwood in Washington DC