WFMW ~chicken rice burritos

One thing that really works for me is easy, inexpensive, healthy and yummy recipes! Chicken Rice Burritos is one that falls in that category. This recipe came from my dear friend Tina early on in my marriage. It has been one we have made over and over.

It is one of those recipes also that doesn't have a lot of exact measurements. I guess those are the types of recipes that best work for me.

To make them you need:

  • 1 package chicken (like 4 legs and thighs) boiled and taken off of the bone and cut up.
  • 1 1/2 cups white rice (I have tried brown but we didn't like them as well.)
  • 3 cups water (or replace some of this with the broth from boiling the chicken)
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 teaspoons (or to taste) chili powder.
  • Salsa (to taste)
  • Flour tortilla shells (I used to always buy them but now I usually make them.)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese

In a 2 quart pot saute chopped onion and garlic in a little oil. Add rice, water (and broth), and chili powder and cook until rice is done. Then mix in cut up chicken and as much Salsa as you would like. Put a couple of spoonfuls in a tortilla shell, sprinkle with cheese and roll up and place in a cake pan. (Like picture below)



Bake @ 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes (until the shells are a little browned and slightly crunchy). Serve with sour cream and salsa and enjoy!! This recipe definitely works for me, I hope it will for you too.

Something else that works for me is homemade Christmas gifts. On Mondays here at Proverbs 31 Living we are having a series on a homemade Christmas and I tell about different homemade things that I am making and I also have a Mr. Linky set up so you can also share. I would love to have you join me!!