Friday Night High School Football Games

Evan and I went to the local High School football game Friday night. Charlotte was spending the night at Nana's house (a reward for keeping her room clean and getting a great behavior report from school). Jon is the band director for this high school and I was looking forward to seeing the marching band perform during half time. It was a wonderful night for a football game.
I got to break out the blue jeans for the first time since April.




Jon was able to sit in the stands with us during most of the first half of the game.
I mentioned the other day that it was because of my brother and marching band that Jon and I met. Going to this game the other night made me remember that fall, nine years ago.
I had just graduated college and had started teaching 3rd grade in my hometown in Maryland. My brother, Chris, was a sophomore in high school and Jon was his new band director, fresh from IUP in PA. Being the good big sister that I am, and the fact that I was single and had nothing else to do on a Friday or Saturday night, I made it to each of my brother's band competitions and football games (where they performed at half-time). I knew my brother had a new band director and I knew that Chris thought he was great. My dad told me about a walkie-talkie conversation Jon had with is pit-crew (drums and chimes... not Nascar) on the way to a competition. One of the band parents asked "Are we there yet?" while they were still driving down the highway. Jon got on the walkie-talkie and said, "Yep, here we are! Start unloading the truck and let's get on the field." I think he had me from that moment. I loved that he was funny and he had an ease about him when he was around his students. He had their respect but he could have fun and joke with them.
.
So, with encouragement and help with wording from my mom , I got up the nerve to ask him out. Here's where my brother's help was vital. I first asked Chris if it would be okay if I asked out his teacher. When he said it was "cool", I asked him a big favor. I asked Chris to just say "Hi" to Jon from me. Chris reported back that Jon said "Hi back" to me. No, were weren't in 7th grade, why do you ask? Then I asked my brother to give Jon my phone number and say, "My sister says if you ever want to go get some ice cream, give her a call." (I don't drink coffee) I made him practice this over and over until he said it just right. After this, I waited.... and waited.... and waited....after almost a month and no phone call, I gave up. I guess he wasn't interested.
.
Then, a month later, the phone rings. It was Jon. He waited a whole month to call me because, he now admits, his life was going pretty good and he didn't want to "mess up a good thing" with a relationship. Apparently he had been unlucky in love but eventually decided to take a chance and give me a call. That first phone call was short but he made me laugh so many times. He told me his name was spelled Jonathan not Jona-thon because he's not a pledge drive. It apparently drove him nuts when people misspelled it. He invited me over for dinner the next night and I asked what time I should come over. He said, "I don't know... just.. whenever." I said, "Well, tell me a time so you'll know when to expect me." He said, jokingly flustered, "Fine, come over at 6:03."
.
The next night, October 21st, I made sure to get to his door exactly at 6:03. I was very excited that he invited me over for dinner because I imagined that this meant he could cook. Well, even though this wasn't the reality and, in fact, he could only cook well enough to survive, the meal was so adorable that it earned major points for the effort he put into it. He had already set the table (the table with the leg that wobbled) and served overcooked spaghetti with Ragu, applesauce, and garlic toast made in the toaster. To drink we had "Code Red" Mountain Dew, the thought of which makes me cringe now. I'll remember that meal for the rest of my life. No other man I had dated had gone to the trouble of making a meal for me. Certainly not a meal that required that they set the table and remember side dishes. After dinner we played "Truth or Dare" (a PG rated version) that included Jon having to dance with a broom, me having to throw a ball onto his apartment roof, and him having to shave 1 square inch of leg hair from his leg...and maybe it included our first kiss but I'll never tell. It was the best first date I had ever had.
.
I think we saw each other 4 or 5 times again that week and after that we were inseparable. We were engaged the following July and married the April after that. We've been married 7 years and it gets better and better.
Now, 9 years after that first marching band season, he held our son while he watched the football game. I am so glad Jon took a chance and called me.


Our team was beaten pretty badly but that's okay because I really don't go to watch football (I shouldn't say that too loud in the South).

I go for the band. I played clarinet. Almost all of my friends were in band. Most of the best memories from high school centered around it.




Evan had his snacks and his coloring book. Football? What football game?



The band performed their half-time show (that Jon wrote the songs and drill for). I love watching them. I get so excited waiting for the big moments. I still get goosebumps during those big moments or when they hit a note just right.
It was a great night.