Rainbow Brite Mittens


Does anyone remember Rainbow Brite? As a child of the 80's, I loved Rainbow Brite. I'm pretty sure my love off all things rainbow is due to having loved Rainbow Brite. I love organizing things by rainbow order. I worked in a small country store in college and on slow days would organize the candles in rainbow order.


You can imagine my excitement when I came across this yarn in the clearance bin at my local yarn shop. It's Mochi Plus, Crystal Palace Yarns. Color 551, 80% Merino, 20% Nylon. I bought the 2 skeins that were left and decided to make myself some colorful mittens.


This yarn is so soft and fun to knit with. The colors are so saturated and blend so smoothly from one to the next that I kept watching the yarn as I knit, waiting for the next color to start.
I used the "Easy Mittens" pattern from One Skein Wonders. I changed the pattern a bit by making cuffs of 2x2 rib instead of a rolled cuff. I also knit 16 rounds with each thumb instead of 14 rows to leave room for my fingernails so they wouldn't rub the end of the mitten. I loved this pattern and will certainly use it again. It was very easy to knit and I am happy with the shape of the mitten.


I had to join a second ball of yarn on the second mitten but I don't mind the jump from green to yellow because it's still in order. The first mitten also has a lot of yellow in the finger area and it went back into orange instead of going to green which kinda bugs me but I'll try to get over it.


I think these mittens will brighten any dreary winter day!