Valentine Suncatchers

 On Wednesday night during our kids class we made heart shaped sun catchers. I believe I did this before when I was a kid but it had been a long time. We were making them to take and share when we go to a home for the elderly. We put a verse about Love on it.

  These are made using bits and pieces of old crayons (it was nice to get some of the short crayons out of our container!) that have been made into slivers by using a pencil sharpener or putting them in a Ziploc bag and going over it with a rolling pin. Then you put it between wax paper, iron it together and then cut it in the shape you desire.  A friend found more detailed directions here. (I found all the over the top warnings with the directions pretty amusing!)


  With our little leftover scraps I thought it would be fun to make a garland for our window. I simply put a hole in the top of each heart and then tied them onto a ribbon with spaces in between each one. I am enjoying that extra color on the window. The sun catchers do look a lot neater than the pictures show. I couldn't capture the neat look they have as the sun comes through them.

Have you been doing any Valentines projects or decorating? We haven't done much but I guess this is a start. :-)
I am sharing this post at:




Frugal Friday at Life as Mom and Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors