Assumptions

Asalam Alaikum,

Many people that I meet assume that I am Pakistani. There have been many times when we have gone somewhere(offices, visa renewal, wedding functions outside the family, shopping) when I have been mistaken for Pakistani. It is just assumed that I am, until I or Tariq says something.

Tariq says that many people just think I am Pathan(Pashto speaking tribe from Afghanistan and northern Pakistan). Pathans tend to have lighter skin, hair and eye color, so he says I look similar to them.

It can be useful, when we are shopping they don't give me a crazy inflated price for items(just a normally inflated price :-) so that we can bargain), and when we are out on the motor cycle, or walking around I don't get stared at(anymore than any other woman). I think part of it may be the area we live in, it is not a fancier side of the city where there are lots of foreigners. I also dress like everyone else, and skip the jeans and tees that I used to wear. I always wear shalwar kameez suits(with matching bangles of course:-), abaya, and dupatta, sometimes even a niqab.

Until the second I open my mouth to speak, I am just like everyone around me, and I kind of like it.