Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie

I have baked 3 pumpkin pies in the past 2 weeks in preparation for the big day. With Thanksgiving only 2 days away, I'd like to share my pumpkin pie recipe that I think is better then the traditional pumpkin pie and it happens to be dairy-free.

I am in charge of bringing desserts to our Thanksgiving at Mom and Mark's this year. I had so much fun deciding what desserts to bring. Here's the final dessert menu:
Apple Slab
Pumpkin Cheesecake (I'll share that recipe soon)
Pumpkin Pie
Buckeyes


I wanted to be sure that any adjustments that I made to the recipes would be delicious so I decided to have some pie trial-runs. The pumpkin pie on the left is made with almond milk and the one on the right is made with coconut milk.
The reverse is true in this picture. The pie made with coconut milk is on the left and the one made with almond milk is on the right.
.
Both pies were good. The one with almond milk was clean and refreshing tasting. It's texture was softer. The one made with coconut milk was creamier, smoother, and held up beautifully. The coconut milk pie was the clear winner. I don't think anyone would have been able to tell it wasn't made with dairy cream.
.
Last week I made pumpkin pie one more time just to be sure. Yeah, that's why I made it again. It sure wasn't because I just had a hankerin' for pumpkin pie.
.
.
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
.
1 unbaked pie shell (I use this recipe but only use half the recipe per pie) in a lightly greased pie plate
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 large eggs, beaten
15 oz. can of pumpkin puree or almost 2 cups of homemade, well drained)
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (can be found at most supermarkets near the Asian foods)
1 tsp. vanilla
.
Preheat oven to 425*.
Mix all ingredients (except the pie shell) until they're well combined.
Pour into the pie shell.
Bake at 425* for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350* for 50 minutes or until the center of the pie isn't very jiggly when you give the pie pan a little nudge.
Happy Thanksgiving!