Charlotte's Watermelon

At some point during the summer we were eating watermelon. Charlotte asked what would happen if she planted one of the seeds from that watermelon. I told her that a watermelon vine might grow and that she could go plant a few seeds in the digging area in the backyard. I promptly forgot about that conversation.

About a month later, I wondered why we had what looked like a watermelon vine growing in the digging area. Charlotte said, "Remember those seeds I planted?" I think I may put Charlotte in charge of my garden next year. She must have done a great job planting that seed.

She really loved checking on her baby watermelon and watching it grow. Unfortunately the watermelon could have really used a few more weeks on the vine but the frost recently ended it's growing season.

We brought in her watermelon and cut it open. It was a lovely shade of light pink. Too immature to eat but lovely to look at.
I haven't blogged about my garden in a very long time. That's because there is no garden to speak of right now. We traveled 4 out of 8 weeks this summer so it was hard to keep up with it's maintenance. It was also a very hard, hot summer for gardens so that made it even harder to keep up the motivation to fight a losing battle. I'll soon gather up the courage to show you the current state of my garden and hopefully give you progress reports as I try to return it to it's usual productivity by springtime.