The Food Highlights from Last Week

I haven't been posting as much about food lately since I've been making a lot of the same foods that I've already blogged about. Here are a few new recipes I tried this past week or so...

Charlotte's preschool had a consignment sale and a bake sale so I volunteered to bring cookies. I started with this recipe and tweaked it a bit.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup sugar
2 tsp. molasses
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg
2 cups flour (I used All Purpose but if I were making them for us,I'd use mostly Whole Wheat Pastry flour)
2 cups chocolate chips (all I had were mini chips)

Preheat oven to 375*. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar molasses, butter, salt, extracts, vinegar, and baking soda, beating until smooth and creamy.

Beat in the egg. Mix in the flour, then the chips.

Use a spoon and scoop Tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the cookie sheet.

Bake for about 11 minutes or until they're nicely golden brown.





Homemade Tortillas using lard...
These were not a great success because they ended up being really dry. I think I tried to add too much white whole wheat flour... or I used too much flour to roll them out. I'll try them again another day and hopefully I'll have a recipe that works out better for me.
.
.
.
Lasagna with Homemade Noodles
This was so easy! I've made homemade pasta once before but I've never made lasagna with homemade noodles. I found it easier then trying to boil and separate the store bought kind. I used this recipe but I made it in the food processor and used half white whole wheat flour and half semolina flour. The dough came together really easily. After it rested for a bit on the counter, I rolled it out with the pasta maker and put the sheets straight into the lasagna.


The noodles cooked perfectly with everything else. It was a big hit!



Becky's Favorite Rolls (aka: King Arthur Flour "Chain Restaurant Rolls")
I didn't make them into the log shape that they recommended so this recipe made 12 smaller rolls. They taste very similar to Outback Steakhouse's rolls (except I didn't use the caramel coloring that gives their rolls their dark color). These are fantastic! I cut back the honey to 1/3 cup and use mostly White Whole Wheat flour and only a cup of All Purpose flour. They're slightly sweet, soft, and filling. I think I need to make another batch this week.

I forgot to take a few pictures of some other successes this week. These peanut butter cookies are amazing. Too good really... I couldn't stop eating them.
I've also made bread using this great basic recipe this week.
I'll be sure to keep the camera close by this week.