Garden Harvests

My blog has been light on garden posts this year not because my garden isn't doing well but because I can't seem to get myself to blog about the garden before a week or two passes and then the garden looks totally different. So, instead of showing you what my garden looks like... I'll show you what I've harvested over the past few weeks. Kohlrabi... and lots of it. I had never tasted it before so I was glad to find out that I liked it considering it did really well and I have a ton of it. It's crunchy and a bit juicy. It tastes a little like broccoli ... kinda like cabbage... and has a faint sweetness.
Charlotte helped me pull a few beets. These beets are yellow and red spirals when you slice them. I haven't used them yet but they're waiting patiently in the crisper.

Evan helped pull a few carrots.


Charlotte also helped with carrots.



Swiss Chard was bagged for my mom. She loves greens so I'm glad to share with her.




I pulled the bolted lettuce plants up for my mom's chickens. I wish I could have enjoyed the great lettuce but at least someone can enjoy them now.... even if they're chickens.





Here are some of the carrots we pulled. Look at the purple carrots! Aren't they pretty? They're called "Deep Purple" and they live up to their name. They taste just like any other garden carrot (a little more intense then store bought). The orange carrots are a mix of the three other varieties I plated this year.






Some of the purple carrots looked like this in the center... deep purple all the way through.





A few others looked like this one.



I ended up using some of the kohlrabi and the carrots in a cole slaw.

I used a bit of purple cabbage that I had in the fridge but a lot of that purple color is from the purple carrots. The slaw was really tasty but the kohlrabi made it a bit wet so next time I might squeeze the shredded kohlrabi in a paper towel before adding it to the slaw.
I've also harvested my first few tomatoes. Jon and I had our first BLT's of the season last night for dinner. Oh, how I missed them!
Maybe soon I'll show you pictures of the garden... if I can download them before it all changes...