Maple Bacon Scones

Any recipe that calls for a pound of bacon gets my attention...

One of my favorite blogs is the King Arthur Flour blog. When the recipe for Maple Bacon Scones appeared one morning, I knew I had to try it. They go into more detail and the how-to in their blog post about this recipe.



I tried baking the bacon and it turned out wonderfully! I just laid out 12 oz of bacon (what is the deal with some packages only having 12 oz instead of 16oz??) on parchment paper and baked it at 350* for about 30 minutes. Yum!



Since I have a really hard time following a recipe exactly, here are the changes I made to the recipe (though I'm sure they'll be great if you follow the recipe exactly)...
-I used 12 oz of bacon instead of 16oz.... next time I'll find a package that has a full pound.
- I used Whole Grain Spelt flour instead of All-Purpose (Whole Wheat Pastry flour would have worked well too)
-I used Maple Syrup instead of sugar since I didn't have maple flavoring or maple sugar. I couldn't really taste much maple flavor in the scones so next time I may buy some maple flavoring.
-I used almond milk instead of regular milk ( I have IBS and my stomach can't handle dairy anymore... except butter... thank heavens for small favors!)
-I sprinkled the top with coarse unrefined sugar since I didn't have maple sugar.



Overall, a great recipe that I can see myself using again. I may try it with ham next time to see how that tastes.