Friday Feature- Buh-dia Fashion

Asalam Alaikum,

I am not fashionable. I never have been, I was not girly-girly growing up, never really had any interest in make-up or fashion. I was much more likely to be found playing in the mudflats close to our house, digging up clams/snails, than playing dress up.

After marrying Tariq I did change a little. He bought me a couple shalwar kameez suits to wear, because he liked the look of them. I liked them because for the fashion challenged they are already matched, I didn't have to worry that I looked like I got dressed in the dark. They are also extremely comfortable, especially when pregnant with Saad and none of my other clothes fit. I didn't wear them too often outside the house, only once or twice to the masjid(I am pretty sure I got a lot of weird stares for that one). Mostly I wore an abaya to cover up anyway.

When we got to the UAE to live with Tariq's family, they just assumed that I would wear what everyone else wore. I didn't even really think about it. All of his sisters are very fashionable, keeping up with the latest trends. I didn't really pay attention to what was fashionable, I just went for what felt the most comfortable. Tariq's sisters tease(playfully-not meanly) that I dress like a "buh-dia", an old woman.

When I am fashionable it is usually by accident. For example-I like my kameezes extra long, hitting below the knee. Now long kameez is in fashion, so I look fashionable even thought that's not what I was going for.

I love to sew my own suits(partly because I enjoy sewing and partly because of the problems I have had with tailors not listening). Sometimes I will get an idea, and then try it out. Sometimes I get the fashion thumbs up and sometimes I get the "buh-dia fashion" face. I have changed to the point where I do enjoy a little bit of fashion for special occasions, but I am still a "comfort over looks" kind of girl.