Homemade Vanilla Wafers

Look what happens when you make your own Vanilla Wafers....

Last night I was searching for a snack and found the last little bit of Nutella. Yum! Then I searched for something to spread it on. I found an almost empty box of Nilla wafers (which I usually never eat because they're so plain). Turns out they're really good when you top them with Nutella. Shocking, I know.
I realized though that the kids would be bummed that the Nilla wafers were gone since they love to eat them plain, dipped in applesauce or yogurt, or any other way they can come up with.
I got an idea.... I wonder if I could find a recipe for Nilla wafers. I love Google. Here's what I found.

Homemade Nilla Wafers
(I didn't have a vanilla bean so I used 1 Tbsp. of vanilla and reduced the milk to 2 tsp. I also used half whole wheat pastry flour)


Today after the toddlers had been put down for a nap, the older girls and I set out to test the recipe.










It's good to have lots of little helpers....


Here is the dough ready to bake. I dropped them onto the parchment in tiny blobs the size of nickels. Yes, really tiny cookie blobs but they have to be tiny to end up being the size of Nilla wafers.


Viola!!! I probably should have left them in for another minute or two. They are nicely crispy when they are medium brown around the edge.
The verdict.... Delicious! Buttery, crispy and very sweet. They are taste like a really delicious sugar cookie. Strong vanilla flavor. The kids said these were much better then from the box but Charlotte also argued that they weren't the same since these were "cookies" and those were "Vanilla Wafers".... I guess she considers cookies a really special treat and Vanilla wafers are so ordinary.
In the end though, I don't think I'll be making these again any time soon because they're too good. For me, in order for a recipe to be baked regularly around here, it has to be good enough that you like eating it but not so good that you can't stay away from it.