Mittens, a hat, and a medieval helmet liner??

My hands have been kept happily busy with small projects lately. Who is behind mittens #1 and #2?

It's Evan! Too bad we still can't find his nose.

HAT
I was looking for a hat that had ear flaps but I wanted the hat to be a 2 needle hat and the ear flaps to be simple. Here's the pattern I found that was almost perfect. Since I was looking for a size to fit a three year old (my kids have big heads), I used a size 8 needle and cast on 90 stitches. I knit for 6 1/2 inches before decreasing. It worked out really well. With the ear flaps, I used size 10 needles and followed the directions as is. I used Cascade 220 for the blue and the red is Lion Brand wool.
MITTENS
I love this pattern. I used it to make Charlotte mittens last year and they fit really well and kept her hands so warm.
I made the cuffs of Evan's mittens longer (2"). I love long cuffs since it helps them stay on and keeps their wrists warmer.
.
.
.
.




ADULT MITTENS
Evan still wanted to model these for me. These are knitted using the same Countryside Magazine pattern as these were. If anyone wants a copy of the pattern, feel free to leave me a comment and I can scan it in and email it to you. It's a 2 needle mitten. I used Cascade 220.
.
.
.
.
.




CHILD'S HOOD WITH A MANTLE
This pattern had no picture with it so I was knitting blind. I thought a winter hat with a built in neck warmer would be perfect for really cold days (trips to PA). I didn't know when I was knitting this how much it would look like a Medieval helmet liner thingy. I used Patons wool for this. I followed the pattern without making changes (strange for me) and was surprised how small it turned out to be. I'm not sure how much this will get worn. I think I would have liked it better if the actual hood part was a bit bigger and came down on his face a bit more. Maybe adding increases after the ribbed neck would have helped.