All In A Day's Work....

Monday, we woke up to a toilet that wouldn't stop running. After trying all the things I know to do to stop a running toilet, I trouble-shooted online and decided we had a faulty fill valve. I watched a video on how to replace one and it looked really simple. Evan and I headed off to Lowes at 7:20am and bought a new fill valve for $11. That's my kind of price!
Evan helped me for a few minutes until he decided to watch Finding Nemo with Charlotte.

The fix took me about an hour and it wasn't difficult at all. The toilet is back to working dependably and it feels great to know that I fixed it. Let's see... what else needs to be fixed around here?




On Saturday I went to the farmer's market and brought home these goodies. It's not quite peach or blueberry season here but some farmer's in the sand hills have early varieties and I was happy to pick some up. The blueberries are great but I found the peaches very tart.


I wanted to use the fruit in a pie to take to my Mom and Mark's house Monday evening for a Memorial day dinner.

I used this recipe, substituting whole wheat pastry flour for half of the flour in the crust and all of the flour in the topping. I also use half lard and half butter in the bottom crust. The crust and topping recipes are enough for two pies (though it doesn't say this in the recipe), so I made two pies. I used 1/3 slices peaches and 2/3 blueberries. I increased the cornstarch to 1/3 to insure the filling wouldn't be runny.

Yum! Especially delicious with a big spoonful of whipped cream on top.


I also made a double batch of cornbread to take to Mom's and swirled grated cheddar into half of the batter before baking it. I put the double batch of batter into a 9x13 pan so it made a really tall cornbread. I loved how tall the slices were and will have to do that again in the future... or maybe put a single recipe in a smaller, square pan would give the same result.
Nothing like being able to fix the toilet and doing some baking to make my day. I'm an easy gal to please.
Tomorrow I'll show you what I accomplished in the garden this weekend.