Christmas Card Signing Party

This year I attempted to make signing Christmas cards into a fun activity by calling it a party. I baked some cookies for the occasion (recipe at the end of the post).

Charlotte got a jump start on signing before dinner.


Then after dinner, we had a cookie and started signing. Evan scribbled on a few cards then ran off to drive his cars on the end tables.



We took our jobs very seriously, as you can see.


Putting the labels and stamps on the outside of the envelopes was Jon and Charlotte's favorite part.

Then we ate more cookies. I've decided cookies make anything into a party. I wonder if I should have a laundry part tomorrow. Hmm.....
Now, for the cookies. These are soft and cakey. Don't over cook them or they'll dry out too fast. The dough is really sticky so I wet my fingers with water when I rolled them into balls.

Cocoa Crackles
from the Best Loved Whole Grain Recipes cookbook
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I substituted all whole wheat pastry flour in place of both flours)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp.vanilla
*I also added 1/2 tsp. instant coffee granules as I do with all chocolate desserts.. it makes the chocolate flavor more intense. Thanks Barefoot Contessa!*
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Combine flours, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter and both sugars in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture, beat just until blended.
3. Place powdered sugar in shallow bowl. Shape dough by heaping tsp. into balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar; place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
4. Bake about 11 minutes or until set and no longer shiny. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies