Chili And Cornbread

A match made in heaven. This is my favorite chili and my favorite cornbread.



The cornbread is slightly sweet, fluffy, and moist. Charlotte ate two of the muffins last night and said she loved me five times during dinner. I guess she liked them! I'm naming this recipe for her.

Charlotte's Favorite Cornbread

1 C. Cornmeal
1 C. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (you can use All-purpose if you prefer)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 C. honey (or sugar)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 C. milk
1/4 C. Mayonnaise (yes, sounds weird, I know... but it makes a rich muffin... just trust me)

Preheat oven to 400*
1. Combine dry ingredients and mix.
2. Combine wet ingredients and mix.
3. Mix the wet into the dry and stir ONLY until they're combined. Do NOT over mix!
4. Grease 13 muffin cups or a 9x9 baking dish.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.


This chili isn't very spicy (I'm a wimp) so Jon adds hot sauce. He told me when we met that he didn't like chili but this chili changed his mind. He likes that it's thick since he can't stand broth. He added the corn last night and it was a tasty addition so I'm naming this one after him.

Jon's Favorite Chili

1 large onion, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil (or other oil)
1 lb. ground beef, turkey, venison, etc (though the meat is optional)
3 cans of beans (I usually use kidney but also like to mix it up with black beans, pinto, etc)
1 small can of tomato paste
*1 Tbsp. chili powder (or more depending on your tastes)
*2 tsp. salt (approx)
*1/2 tsp. pepper (approx)
*1/2 tsp. cumin
water
2 cups corn (opt.)

1. Brown meat in a medium sized pot. Drain onto paper towels and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add oil and onions. Cook over medium heat until translucent.
3. Rinse beans in a colander to remove canning liquid and add them to the pot with the onions.
4. Add meat back into the pot along with remaining ingredients. Add water until it's the consistency you like.
5. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and check for seasonings.

**My measurements for the spices are approximate so be sure to add more or less depending on how you like your chili**