Olympic Dreams

I planned on joining in on the Knitting Olympics from Yarn Harlot's blog. You're supposed to choose a challenging project, cast on during the opening ceremonies, and finish before the closing of the Olympics. I decided to knit my first pair of socks. I had the best of intentions. Then I forgot to watch the opening ceremonies. Then I didn't have the right sized needles. Then I couldn't find my knitting DVD with the sock knit-a-long. I guess it's a good thing I'm not a real Olympic athlete, right?
So, a day late, I gathered up my supplies. I bought a new pair of needles and luckily Jon was able to find my DVD.

I cast on 18 hours late and started knitting the cuff on my future sock.


After an hour of knitting, I had gotten this far. Umm.... I have 17 days to knit a pair of socks and in an hour I knit an inch? This could be a problem. I see my Olympic dreams fading away. Again, it's a good thing I'm not a real Olympic athlete.


Gracie is not impressed. All she cares about is me putting the camera down so I can scratch her head.


A yawn from a bored cat or a jungle roar from a tiger in Gracie clothing? I'd sure miss my knitting companion if she found a warmer place to spend her afternoons.
We'll see how this sock progresses. I've knit about 4 inches since Saturday and luckily my speed has increased a bit. Though I may not win a medal for this sock, I'm grateful for this knitting Olympics because it pushed me to start a project that I've been wanting to start but too afraid to for over a year now.