Flaxseed Cookies, Travel Plans, And an Olympic Update

A weekend away! Yippee! I am so excited because my kids have officially hit "that age". The age I've been dreaming of. The age where they're easy to take on trips. The age where they can play together and keep each other entertained. The age where they can both sit to eat at a regular table (though boosters are still helpful).

Jon has a band obligation out of town this weekend and usually the kids and I would stay home. Cabin fever is starting to sink in and I jumped at the chance for us to tag along. Luckily we're only going about 90 miles away so it won't be a long drive.

I wanted to share some of the food that I'm taking along. I've kept my resolutions in mind while packing for this trip. Instead of packing an armload of boxes of processed snacks, I tried to bring as many homemade snacks as I had time to make.

.
First, a new recipe. These cookies are so delicious. I have a hard time stopping at 2... or 3.... or 4... They remind me of an oatmeal cookie but with a wonderful nutty, flax seed flavor.

Flax Seed Cookies

3/4 C. Butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
3/4 C brown sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 Ground Flax seed (I find it in a box next to the flour in the baking aisle)
1 3/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 Tbsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 C. Oatmeal (grind it up in the food processor a bit but not so fine that it's powder)

Preheat oven to 350*

1. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients well.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined.
5. Drop dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet leaving a bit of space between cookies.
6. Bake for about 10-13 minutes or until the edges just barely become golden brown. The center will still look under-cooked. Don't over bake or they will be dry!! Let them cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them onto a cooling rack.




The last time I made Apple Butter Muffins, I made a double batch and froze half of them. I'm taking these muffins with us on our trip.



I also baked some graham crackers this week so they're going as well.
We'll be going out to eat tomorrow night but luckily the hotel room has a mini fridge and a microwave so for tonight's dinner I packed mac&cheese leftovers from last night and the small hot pockets from 2 night's ago.
I'm also bringing some cereal, applesauce, and bananas.



Enough about packing... moving on to knitting Olympic update...

Here is my sock so far. I've knit the heel flap but don't have time to learn to turn the heel before we go.
Does anyone know why my 1x1 ribbing looks like it's wrong side out? One side of the stitch is sticking out further then the other.
See you in a couple of days!