Eating from the Pantry


Things are still going pretty good with eating from the pantry. Last week I did go to the store once and stocked up on some fresh produce and also bought some peanut butter that did finally go on sale. I did also cheat and buy ketchup.

  I have figured out a new way to make this challange quite easy too, it is simply to blog about whatever I am close to running out of and then my mom reads my blog, checks her pantry to see if she has extra and brings some to me. By the way I am totally joking about planning to do that! But I did find out how spoiled I am when after telling you all how I was about to run out of oil and the next time I saw my mom she brought me a jar. Thanks Mom!

 My shelves and freezers are looking a big roomier after eating out of them so consistently and not restocking. I am glad to have this opportunity to go through things and try to eat up stuff that is getting a bit older. At this point we still have plenty of food I just have to be more creative in making sure we have enough variety.

  One thing that I am wanting to work harder at using up in the next couple weeks is frozen pumpkin and squash puree. I am also trying to remember to use berries regularly as we have a bunch and they provide some good nutrition for our diet.

Here is our menu for this week:

Sunday:
Breakfast: Pancakes
Lunch: Gyros in pita bread, fruit salad and coleslaw.
Supper: Pizza burgers (or actually on homemade slices of bread) and carrot sticks.

Monday:
Breakfast: Omelet, hashbrowns, zucchini muffins and prunes.
Supper: Buuz, brown rice, sauted cabbage and carrots and Suutei Tsai. (We are studying about Mongolia right now.)

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Squash Pudding
Supper: Ravioli (homemade and I plan to make extra to freeze) and Salad.

Wednesday:
Breakfast: Fried Eggs and hashbrowns.
Supper: BBQ Turkey on homemade bread and corn and plum pie.

Thursday:
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs and Raspberry Muffins
Supper: Over to my parents to Celebrate Luke's Birthday.

Friday:
Breakfast: Pumpkin Pie
Supper: Ham and hashbrown casserole (in crockpot) and green beans. (I plan on grating up our own potatoes to use for the hashbrowns as well as adjusting the recipe in other ways to suit my needs.)

Saturday:
Breakfast: Butterball Coffee Cake made by Mara and oranges.
Supper: Pizza (from the freezer- one I made earlier)

Sunday:
Breakfast: Oatmeal
Dinner: Mongolian Beef (and bear) in crockpot, rice and broccoli with cheese.

What are your favorite ways to eat squash or pumpkin? I would love to hear. My family doesn't like to eat them plain but we do love a lot of things that has it in it.

For more menu plans visit I'm an Organizing Junkie.