A movie review and a few thoughts about the year ahead....

I can't believe it's January 3rd. I also can't believe that it's 2010. I went to bed early on New Year's Eve so maybe that's why it's hard for me to believe.
We've had a wonderful, long break and you'll be seeing plenty of Christmas pictures in the coming days but today I wanted to do a post about a movie I watched and the hopes I have for the year ahead.





This past weekend we rented Food, Inc.

I had been wanting to see it for a while now. Over the past several years, I've been reading more about food.... where it comes from, how to grow it, what is healthier.... but this documentary takes me where I've never been before... inside the big business that is our food industry. The movie wasn't so much about how the food is actually made (though there were a few scenes about that) it was mostly about the huge corporations that put the food on the shelves, the government and the policies they make or don't make, and it's effect on us, the consumer.

It was eye opening to say the least. I think every person should see this movie. I think it's important that we all realize where our food really comes from and the high price we're paying for it.

Jon and my dream is to have a few acres and a little house. His end of the dream involves exploring the woods and creating bike trails. My end of the dream involves a massive garden, livestock to be raised to feed us, and space to do whatever I can dream up. This dream will have to wait a few more years but I can't wait to be able to have the space to be more self sufficient. After watching this movie, I'd certainly like to rely less on a food system that is so very damaged.

So, after watching Food, Inc. I started to think about possible actions I could take as a result of watching the movie. This also led me back to New Year's resolutions. I decided they would be one in the same.

2010 Resolution #1 - Buy fewer processed foods

Though I don't buy much processed meal type foods, I'd like to buy even less processed foods and snacks. The movie showed how the ingredients in junk food are subsidized so heavily that it makes them cheaper then healthier alternatives. I love to cook and bake so I'm looking forward to the challenge of this one.

Resolution #2 - Buy local whenever possible

We have an amazing amount of local sources for almost any kind of food you could want... minus chocolate, coffee, sugar, etc. We have a local dairy, mill, and a huge farmer's market that is open year round. My only excuse for not buying local more often is lack of money. We have a limited budget so money is always a concern. My challenge this year will be to find ways to fit more local foods into our diet without breaking the bank.

Resolution #3 - Get the most from my garden

My garden is the best way to eat local. It doesn't get more local then out the back door :) I'm going to make sure to order seeds this year for foods I know we'll actually eat and be able to get a decent harvest from. I want to save space in the garden for foods that will be enjoyed. This is a fun challenge for me since I've found quite a love for vegetable gardening. I get so excited when the seed catalogs arrive.

I'll be blogging about my resolutions and how I'm doing with each challenge. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I know it'll be hard to wake up to the alarm clock tomorrow morning.